Return of the Prodigal Person-a-ma-jig

It's been a long while and updates are at hand. I haven't felt very up to posting for a while, mostly because I was busy fighting to get my surgery scheduled and then busy healing from said surgery. My long-awaited procedure finally ocurred on February 7th. Yes, it hurt like a bitch.

Of course I was zonked out the for the operation itself. (The surgery took almost six hours.) I woke up looking like I'd been in a car accident, and my mother remarked that she truly 'gets' how people get mixed up with one another after a traumatic event. I was bruised to hell and back and a lot of the pain was reduced with morphine, but note I said reduced. I was kept in the hospital for a total of four days... rather than just the two I expected. My mouth was completely wired shut (not rubber banded), and I could not speak at all. At my first follow-up, the splint was removed from my mouth and I was was released from the wires and placed in a rubber band mouth cage. (This allowed me to make mumbly speech.)

I'm now in just two rubber bands which allows my mouth to actually open and close. I've been chowing the best I can on mushy foods. (Oh yeah, I dropped from 126 to 114 while on the liquid diet... I'm currently very hungry.) I've been trying to make a point of using my mouth so the jaw muscles will become less stiff and thereby allow me to put more in my mouth at time. My swelling has not completely subsided and I feel like people are staring at my chipmunk face at times.

I'd really like the swelling to go down further so I can get an idea of how I'll look for the rest of my life. I mean this is it. This is going to be my face, but I still don't know what I look like. I just have to stay patient I suppose!

Unknown

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous28.2.12

    Sorry to hear you are still hurting but hopefully things are getting better and it will all be worth it in the end and if I worked it out right you should be getting your cast off soon so something to look forward to.

    Cheers,

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh duh! I forgot to mention I am out of my cast now! I guess I should update on that soon. Thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous28.2.12

    NP well at least thats one good thing, bet it was really awkward with your thumb stuck like that for so long. I enjoyed the video blog you did while wearing it, some of the things you came out with were quite funny, keep up the good work we all need a little laughter in our lives.

    Take care.

    B

    p.s. not trying to hide but its the only profile I can get to work

    ReplyDelete

Instagram